Friday, June 04, 2004

Have you listened to a book lately?

Seeing many here and on LJ discuss their book lists has gotten me feeling a bit down. I was a voracious reader of fiction through college. Now my interests are primarily non-fiction (science, macroeconomics, spirituality, art, government, etc). While I can speed-read fiction, good non-fiction needs to be savoured. Enjoy well written sentences, re-read certain paragraphs, and look-up difficult words. Then I sit back, test and absorb the concepts before moving on. No doubt I only read a few pages each day. There are at least eight books around the house with bookmarks sticking out. During my daily train rides I usually read any of about a dozen magazine subscriptions. When then do I squeeze in fiction and keep the rest of my life going?

So last week I joined an online service for audio books, Audible.com, and downloaded the near 16 hours unabridged rendition of Dan Brown’s DaVinci Code.

I see some obvious advantages and disadvantages. Considering printing presses were only invented in the late 16th century, and millenia old oral traditions, does listening make more sense? What say you?

No comments: