Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Back home in Boston!

Previously posted on LJ, Sept 28th

Exhausted, totally drained and my circadian rhythm completely shot. Two conferences in the next three weeks and 700 e-mails to attend to. (Why does everyone think I read emails while on vacation?)

Since I live to eat (suffer ye thinkers!), my self imposed exile to the culinary Siberia has resumed. Yesterdays cafeteria choices included Corn Chowder (85 Cal), Chicken in red cream sauce (995 Cal – really!) and 65 other equally savory options. While I really wanted the Rawas Hyderabadi or the Shrimp Kadipatha, I would have settled for the bourgeois Kamat's Thali (pics forthcoming).

I already miss Aiee asking every night what I want for breakfast the next morning (M, please take note). And even the lowly restaurant waiter understands “strong filter coffee.” I met fascinating people all day, every day. I am going to miss them the most. I don’t miss living out of a suitcase(s) for 4 weeks, and my shirt soaked 2 minutes after I wear it.

I have 900 pics to go through, 45 books I brought back, a huge stack of CDs, a suitcase full of Ganapati foods (puran-poli, chewda, shankar-palli, saath, mysore-paak, banana and almond halwa, kaju barfi from Chandu Halwai, ...) lots of knick-knacks and a boat load of memories.

It took me 45 minutes to get ready after the shower. Confusion reigned: What trousers do I wear to work? Which shirt? Socks? Where are they? Damn! I need to match with the shoes? Where are my keys? What time is my bus? … Am I forgetting something? Bostonians, if you spy a zombie on the streets, pl come to his aid!

All signs of a great holiday!

And I am equally glad to be back HOME! My bed, my pillow and my blanket (yes, its getting chilly here!).

No comments: